The 2009 October Daring Bakers’ challenge was brought to us by Ami S. She chose macarons from Claudia Fleming’s The Last Course: The Desserts of Gramercy Tavern as the challenge recipe.
My macarons were tasty, but a failure as macarons. They were moist, chewy, lumpy, flat and had no feet.
I am going to do these again with a few changes
- Grind the almond flour finer (mine was a meal consistency, straight from the store)
- Double sift the almond/sugar mixture
- Beat the eggs slower so less bubbles form
- Fold the beginning of the 'macaronage' stage harder to get rid of extra bubbles
- Let the cookies dry longer before baking.