Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Rashes

For those of you who don't know already, Harvey has developed several serious rashes this year. And by serious I don't mean bright red skin, though he's had his share of that. No, I mean raised blisters about the size of peas that may or may not be full of puss and bleed if the diaper rubs too hard on them. They come for about 2-4 weeks, disappear for 2 and then return. I didn't think much of them at first because it is only diaper rash, it wasn't affecting his behavior, it was healing naturally and I do not enjoy taking a toddler to the doctor. Well now we are on round 3 of this, so I finally decided to bite the bullet and go see a doctor.


Harvey was a real trooper during the whole thing. The doc wanted to culture the pustules, so Harvey had to lay there for about 5 minutes, and by lay there I mean he was forcibly restrained by his mama, while the doctor proceeded to poke his little bum trying to get the pustules to ooze.


Naturally, we went and picked up Harvey a baloon when the poking was all done. Luckily for this mama, Kroger, our grocery store/ pharmacy, gives out free balloons to kiddos who ask. Harvey and I love Kroger. FYI they also give free cookies.

We won't find out what kind of rash he has for a week, but like most things kids go through, it will be either viral or bacteria. I'm hoping for bacterial because then the antibiotics he is on will make it go away permanently this time. In the mean time Harvey has been running around neked like a crazy fool.


For the record, Harvey's current round of blisters is healing up all on its own. I really hope we don't have to go through all of this again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, poor kiddo! The doctor doesn't think it is allergy related? Evelyn's yucky rashes are all caused by what she eats.

Anonymous said...

Oh, poor little guy. Well, I'm sure he's enjoying the breeze! :)