Monday, December 27, 2010

Daring Bakers: STOLLEN


The 2010 December Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Penny of Sweet Sadie’s Baking. She chose to challenge Daring Bakers’ to make Stollen. She adapted a friend’s family recipe and combined it with information from friends, techniques from Peter Reinhart’s book.........and Martha Stewart’s demonstration

Stollen is basically a fruitcake in wreath form. Its is really easy to make, and smells wonderful.

Full Recipe HERE

I followed the recipe almost exactly with a few exceptions:
  • Cherry herbal tea instead of mixed fruit peal. Seriously is that stuff even edible?!
  • Coconut instead of candied cherries cause I didn't have any.
  • No Rum.
So the results were, if you like fruit cake you will like this recipe. If you don't like fruit cake you won't like this. I, never having encountered fruit cake before ever, found that this recipe was overly dense. I like my breads to be lighter. Also, while i enjoyed the smell, I apparently don't like fruit and nuts in my cakes. Also it is HUGE. This will feed 12 peeps easily. So be warned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you put any powdered sugar on it? I love stollen, and I love the idea of putting coconut and cherry tea in it.