Thursday, July 16, 2009

Cake Balls

Last... Month (our computer has been down it is not my fault!) Captain and I made something I've been wanting to try ever since Heather made some for her SIL's baby shower. So one weekend we had a marathon cake pall making weekend.

It started out simple enough, go to the store and pick up supplies. However it quickly grew out of proportion as we decided to make, oreo, nutterbutter, red-velvet cake, cheesecake, and brownie. Like I said it took the whole weekend.Here is how you make cake balls.

Take one cake and bake according to the directions, then mash it up with a can of frosting.


DSC_0022



red velvet cake with creamcheese frosting


DSC_0023

brownie with chocolate frosting


You can also make them with cookies! Take a box or bag of sandwich cookies (oreos) and smash them with 8 oz. of creamcheese.


Captain was a big help, besides pampering Harvey and taking pictures, he scooped the smashed cake and cookies into balls for me.


DSC_0026



Peanutbutter, oreo and vanillia cookie balls

DSC_0027

Cream Cheese Balls, coated in gramcrakers


DSC_0024

Then after you make the balls, put them in the refrigerator for good measure. Then take some melting chocolate (any kind, we used milk, white and dark) and microwave it and add some veggie oil. If I was a good person I would use coco butter. But I'm cheap. The oil helps the chocolate spread and stay shiny. Don't use too much though or the chocolate won't harden.


baby on the floor

Once you have your balls and melted chocolate, place your baby on the floor and begin dipping. This is by far the longest part of the process, but Captain favorite part. He put on all the sprinkles.


Eat and enjoy!

BTW if for SOME reason you have leftovers that people aren't willing to eat... perhaps all the dark chocolate ones... but whatever the reason you can take them and put them in the food processor...

DSC_0102

...and make them into a pie crust!

DSC_0109


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I tried commenting on here yesterday but my computer was being frustrating. Yay for cake balls! I can't believe how many you made!!

I've always thought that was funny about Andy & Kela's site, too. Keith and Stacy are at http://smithfamforever.blogspot.com/ but they haven't updated since March... No baby yet, I'll try to remember to comment on Facebook when she comes. Her name is Molly, and I'm thinking blonde, too. I love your pretty new site/layout!